1.02.2022

The Best of Martha Moments

Below is a gathering of links to some of the best serials and posts on the Martha Moments blog that have appeared over the years. I always intended this blog to be an archive of Martha's achievements, viewed through the lens of an avid and curious reader/viewer. I think I've accomplished that. And as I take a little sabbatical, I want to leave you with some of my most rewarding moments here. What you'll find in this post is a summary of some of my favourite content (and yours!) that you can return to and easily access. 

Thank you ALL for making Martha Moments so enjoyable to produce over the years. This project has enriched my life in innumerable ways. I have met some extraordinary people through this venture and have had some illuminating experiences that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Thank you, too, to Martha and the people at Martha Stewart Living for embracing me and accepting this blog for what it is: a love letter. 

THE BEST OF MARTHA MOMENTS: CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW

Click here: THE STUDENTS

I'll start the list with you guys! I've always enjoyed highlighting the people who have learned from Martha: the students, readers and viewers who have gleaned so much from her instruction over the decades. So many of you are so talented and have showcased your prowess so generously with me. Here you'll find a compilation of posts featuring some of your best work - inspired by Martha!

Click here: MARTHA'S BOOKS

This is a comprehensive list of all of Martha's books, listed in descending order from the most recently published. I know many of you reference it to help build or edit your library. 

Click here: MARTHA'S MAGAZINES

Here is a list of all of Martha's magazines, with descriptions of their mandates. They include Martha Stewart Living, Martha Stewart Weddings, Everyday Food and Blueprint, among others. You'll find their publication dates as well as mention of all of the editors-in-chief who helped run them over the years. 

Click here: MARTHA'S SPECIAL ISSUE MAGAZINES

Magazine collectors seeking some of Martha's special issues will find this link helpful. These were magazines that were sold at the newsstand only and were not part of the regular subscription. They are collectible today!

Click here: MARTHA'S INTERNATIONAL PUBLICATIONS

This is a list of Martha's publication ventures outside of the United States: international editions of Martha Stewart Living, Martha Stewart Weddings and Everyday Food.

Click here: MAGAZINE REVIEWS

Many of you enjoyed my monthly and yearly reviews of Martha's publications. Here they are!

Click here: MARTHA'S NEWSLETTERS

Precluding her foray into the world of magazine publishing was The Martha Stewart Newsletter. This is a history of that publication.  

Click here: MARTHA TV

A collection of posts devoted to Martha's television ventures. 

Click here: MARTHA MERCHANDISE

From her "Everyday" collection at Kmart to Martha by Mail to Macy's and beyond... This is a compilation of posts that highlight the creative genius behind Martha's product lines, from paint, to gardening tools, from craft supplies to closet organization systems, from furniture to lighting...

Click here: REMEMBERING: MARTHA STEWART PAINT

A popular post about the history of Martha's paint lines. 

Click here: REMEMBERING: MARTHA STEWART EVERYDAY GARDEN FURNITURE

A summary of Martha's popular "Everyday" garden furniture lines at Kmart. 

Click here: REMEMBERING: THE BUNSHAFT HOUSE

For a brief period in the 1990s, Martha's owned the only residence ever designed by renowned architect Gordon Bunshaft. This is a history of the house. 

Click here: REMEMBERING: MARTHA STEWART KIDS

A history of the Kids magazine with all of the covers shown.

Click here: REMEMBERING: ENTERTAINING

A look back at Martha's groundbreaking first book, Entertaining. 

Click here: REMEMBERING: MARTHA BY MAIL

A history of the Martha by Mail catalog.

Click here: MARTHA BY MAIL

Her best merchandising venture to date! This is a compilation of posts devoted to Martha by Mail. Collectors will find these interesting to read. All of the Martha by Mail catalog covers are shown here as well many of the most sought-after products.

Click here: TURKEY HILL

All about Martha's beloved former home in Connecticut.

Click here: CANTITOE CORNERS

All about Martha's farm in Katonah, New York.

Click here: SKYLANDS

All about Martha's historic home in Maine.

Click here: LILY POND LANE

All about Martha's former summer home in the Hamptons.

Click here: MARTHA'S APARTMENT

All about Martha's former Fifth Avenue pied-a-terre in Manhattan.

Click here: LOOKING BACK TO MOVE FORWARD

This was a monthly serial I wrote in 2012 after then editor-in-chief Pilar Guzman wrote about looking back at past issues to help guide the direction of the magazine. I decided to do the same and selected my favourite issues of Martha Stewart Living for each month of the year. I had a lot of fun writing it.

Click here: 25 BEST THINGS ABOUT MARTHA STEWART LIVING

For the 25th anniversary of Martha Stewart Living magazine (2015) I decided to do a daily countdown of the best 25 things about the magazine throughout the month of December, beginning on the first of the month and ending on Christmas Day. It was very popular and I had fun writing it. (I know Martha enjoyed it too!)

Click here: DOMESTIC INSIGHT

This was a fun little series I did about the history of some of those common things around the house we all take for granted: lazy susans, salad spinners, corn-on-the-cobb skewers...

Click here: AN INTERVIEW WITH MARCIE McGOLDRICK

Former craft editor Marcie McGoldrick spoke to me about her time working at Martha Stewart Living and her beautiful work as a ceramicist. 

Click here: AN INTERVIEW WITH ERIC BEARE

The painter responsible for the beautiful mural that graced the foyer at Turkey Hill spoke to me in 2013 about his experience working with Martha and his craft. 

Click here: AN INTERVIEW WITH LLOYD ALLEN

The author of "Being Martha" spoke to me about writing this book, being Martha's friend and neighbour in Westport, Connecticut, and visiting her at Alderson. 

Click here: MEETING LUCINDA SCALA QUINN

In 2013 I met Lucinda Scala Quinn, former editorial director of food for Martha Stewart Living, and now a bestselling cookbook author and television host in her own right!

Click here: VISITING MARGARET ROACH

In 2005 I drove down to Copake Falls, New York, to tour the garden of Margaret Roach, who was then the editor-in-chief of Martha Stewart Living. I had loved her book "A Way to Garden" and seeing her garden in person, with Margaret as the guide, was a dream come true.

Click here: THE GOOD THINGS EVENT

In 2006, only a few months after I had started the blog, I got tickets to see the Martha Stewart Show and attend a special event at the Manhattan piers the following day: a celebration of all the Good Things the magazine stood for. I met some fabulous people and met Martha for the first time!

Click here: THE BLOG SHOW

In 2010 my dream came true! I was a guest on The Martha Stewart Show! Read all about it...

Click here: THE TASTEMAKERS EVENT

In 2010 I was invited to the Omnimedia offices to partake in an evening of celebration as the company honoured all of its favourite vendors. I got to hang out with Martha for a bit, meet some of the editors and see some of the offices. What an interesting night!

Click here: MARTHA AT THE TORONTO FOOD SHOW

In 2013, I attended the Toronto Food Show. Martha was in attendance and I watched her demonstration, which was followed by a book signing. Martha caught up with me afterwards to share a bag of chips!

----

I imagine I'll add to this list of links as I think of them... For now, please enjoy what I've posted so far and explore the blog anew! 

Love,

Andrew

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What no comments! well as a drop in every now and then-- AR I would like to thank you for your years of service and dedication. I have commented some off and on-- perhaps from a devils advocate slant, as I felt you were not being compensated for your promotional work and I couldn't understand your loyalty to MS as she shamelessly self promoted herself. I suppose if I were to find out she has donated countless dollars to some philanthropic cause without the fanfare I would be pleased. How smug is that? Anyway I fell under the martha stewart spell -- it was at a cultural threshold and then the internet wave which she road but changed so at a drop of the hat. I will never understand the chat rooms being SILENCED-- they were so much fun-- interacting with the TMI posters and now instagram! has forced its censorship on posts. it is just as well; the cold turkey time suck was inevitable. Thank you once again, may you reach for the stars as I march into hell for a heavenly cause-- that's if i find another one.

Francina said...

Dear Andrew,
Although we've never met, our shared love for Martha has brought us together on this little corner of the Internet. Your dedication to this site is admirable -- Thank you so very much for all your hardwork! And I am positively sure that your site will remain a tremendous resource and treasure trove for all Martha fans, now and far into the future!
Wishing you success and joy in your next ventures!
Best wishes,
Francina

Alison said...

I'm so sorry I've discovered Martha Moments as its closing! I've been a big fan of Mrs Stewart for many years. She's a wonderful example of a successful woman who really did make it big from the kitchen sink! I hope her business empire carries on to guide and inspire the next generation of cooks, bakers, gardeners, homemakers and anyone who enjoys the domestic arts.

Anonymous said...

AR you saw the handwriting on the wall. The magazine will cease publication in May I think.

Michael.Murphy said...

Such a great resource. Thanks for your YEARS of hard work Andrew. I have never joined Facebook, and at 61 hope that I never need to, so I can't take advantage of your account there. And I stopped using Instagram after they recently required a login to see content. Regardless, God bless you!