12.25.2015

25th Anniversary Countdown to Christmas: Day 25

Throughout December, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Martha Stewart Living magazine, I will examine 25 of the most memorable and influential people, moments and milestones at Martha Stewart's company over the last quarter century: the Martha Moments that fans are especially grateful for. I hope you enjoy these reflections on twenty-five years of excellence!

DECEMBER 25: MARTHA!

It is difficult to put into words the influence that Martha Stewart has had on popular culture. Both the publishing and the television industries benefited greatly from Martha's innovation: the rise of the 'shelter publication' and interest in lifestyle content today is the direct result, I feel, of Martha's far-reaching influence and pioneering efforts. Television series and entire networks devoted to house & home content, especially cooking, were born out of the popularity of Martha's own ingenious vision of having a television show devoted to celebrating the culture of home. Click here for a brief summary of Martha's life.
On a personal level, I must say that I have learned so much from Martha over the years. I've learned things that no teacher in a school classroom would ever deign to teach, things my mother and father didn't teach me and things my friends were not always interested in learning. How to cook basic meals; how to bake a cake; how to bake cookies; how to grow an amaryllis, care for a fern, make 'green' cleaning decisions; how best to do the laundry and how best to wash the dishes by hand. She taught me how to fold a fitted sheet (still working on perfecting this, I must admit) and how to organize a closet. There are countless other lessons learned, too, and this knowledge has become part of me. Only Martha taught me these things, making her one of the most important teachers I have ever encountered.

I am fortunate to have met Martha on several occasions. I have even done a television segment with her! For this I feel so blessed because I got to tell her, in person, what her work has meant to me. And I know she felt my gratitude and the honour I was experiencing by standing next to her. 

So, without further adieu, I want to say THANK YOU, MARTHA! Thank you for 25 years of excellence, for a beautiful magazine that I look forward to each month, for all those hours of informative television programming, all those beautiful products that make my home a happier, prettier and more functional space and especially for all that information and knowledge that I consider to be more valuable than you may know! Everything I celebrate on this blog is directly because of you!


MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

9 comments:

Chris said...

Couldn't have said it better myself - Martha is truly an inspiration to us all. This 25 day blog you just finished was wonderful. It makes me realize how far back I've loved the Martha Stewart way of doing things. Thanks for the reminder and hope that you have a wonderful holiday!

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

Thank you, Chris! Happy Holidays to you too!

Anonymous said...

This will sound corny , but Martha Stewart has shown us beauty ( style and good taste) and unfortunately in a world that can be at times very crass and ugly it is very much appreciated.
Andrew I would once again like to thank you for all your work on the blog in general and in particular this month.
APM

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

I am so glad you enjoyed it, APM! Thank you for being such a devoted reader and for your thoughtful comments! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely fantastic! Everything that your blog is about (especially to us die hard Martha fans); is exactly what Martha herself is: creating, inspiring, living stylishly, and learning something new everyday.

Thank you for the 25 day blog Andrew - I sure hope MSLO staff had the opportunity to read it and enjoy it was much as your followers! Your blog is one of my favorites - I check it frequently and enjoy looking back on Martha and her beloved company. Having been to her live show in 2010 in NYC (nothing could top being a guest like you were), I had the most amazing "Martha Moment" ever while sitting 10 feet from her.

So cheers to you for keeping this up! Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year, Andrew!

Tyler

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

Tyler, thank you! Such a nice comment. I am so glad you enjoy the blog!

Anonymous said...

Andrew, here is a treat for your readers. This clip from Martha Stewart Living in 2003 features the short-lived but awesome 2003-04 season open: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHITjHq12wo

Enjoy!

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

I remember that opening well! Thanks for posting the link!

Rowaida said...

Dear Andrew,
Thank you for the 25 days blog posts, I enjoyed each one. Martha is such an inspiration and teacher to me and to many people around the world.
Thank you Andrew for a wonderful blog, amazing posts and update news about Martha and her products
I am sure Martha and her staff read your blog
Happy New year and best best wishes xoxo