Some elements of the look:
- Create a base of white and add brown accents to punctuate the space. White should be used in the paint and the fabric, with particular attention paid to texture.
- Warm, weathered and burled woods and stains are essential to the look. These could be used in architectural elements like window trim and flooring or in the furniture.
- Caning, bamboo and grasses are wonderful accents for this look: sisal rugs, wicker chairs and bamboo furniture will lend an air of natural comfort to a brown-and-white space.
- Natural fabrics like linen, cotton and canvas in neutral colours will bring additional texture to the room.
- For decorative accents, consider botanical and marine collections, from white coral, pale shells and eggs to horn, tortoiseshell and bird imagery. Old books and sepia-toned photography will pair rusticity with the coolness of the white.
- Consider cut branches and white blossoms in white vessels for arrangements.
- Avoid colourful accents for this look. A touch of silver or gold will lend some shimmer, as will clear crystal and glass.
A beautiful, traditional kitchen is inviting yet composed with its limited palette.
A more modern take on the brown and white scheme, above and below. Wood is used extensively on the surfaces of this large kitchen. In this instance the white acts as a frame. A classic brown and white room with all the elements combined.