One Father's Day, when my brother and I were teenagers, we gave our dad the gift of organization. We pledged to organize his garage and the two of us spent the day with him, sorting through all kinds of 'stuff' that had accumulated over the years. From the floors up to the rafters, my brother and I did all the heavy work while my father supervised and made the executive decisions about what to keep, what to discard and how to reconfigure the space. Volunteering your time and effort is one of the best gifts a dad can receive on Father's Day, in my experience. Not only does it provide an opportunity to spend time together, it is also a big help to him. Below are some strategies to getting a messy garage into tip-top shape. June is the perfect month for this sort of task; it is not too hot but the weather is fair enough to accomplish a lot. Click here for more ideas for the garage.
A great way to begin clearing out your garage is to use your driveway to sort everything into three piles: what you want to keep, what you can donate or sell, and what can be discarded. Clear out the entire garage so you can begin with a clean slate. For some people, these are difficult and often overwhelming decisions.
- For items that have sentimental value, find a clever way to repurpose them in other areas of your home.
- Donate clothes, books, and toys that are unused. A local library, hospital, or school can often benefit from your unwanted items.
- Use large heavy-duty garbage bags to throw away things that you haven't used in a while. If something hasn't been used in two years, it likely won't be used again.
- For items you want to sell, consider having a garage sale, or put them up for sale on eBay.
Painting Your Walls
A fresh coat of paint can do wonders in transforming a messy and unorganized garage into a clean and orderly space.
- Prime the walls first. Priming helps paint last longer, and the paint job won't look patchy or uneven.
- Use a lighter color of paint to spruce up the interior walls. Light colors make a space feel larger.
- Be sure to factor in the amount of time it will take for the paint to dry.
Installing New Flooring
G-floor has numerous benefits. Not only does it ground electricity, but it's also warmer in the winter; has a more comfortable, cushioned feel for sitting and standing; is ultra-durable; hides cracks and stains; and is much easier to clean than traditional cement floors.
- Sweep clean your garage floor so it's dry and free of any objects before laying down the new floor.
- After making sizing adjustments, use double-sided tape to stick each portion together.