12.11.2015

25th Anniversary Countdown to Christmas: Day 11

Throughout December, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Martha Stewart Living magazine, I will examine 25 of the most memorable and influential people, moments and milestones at Martha Stewart's company over the last quarter century: the Martha Moments that fans are especially grateful for. I hope you enjoy these reflections on twenty-five years of excellence!

DECEMBER 11: SARAH CAREY

The first time I saw Sarah Carey was on Martha's original TV show making a veggie burger: "Who is this bubbly redhead and why aren't we seeing more of her?" I loved her from the start. Over the years, my pangs were put to rest and Sarah became more and more involved in the company's editorial food department. Sarah started at Martha Stewart's test kitchens at her Connecticut television studio in 1999. Before that, Sarah worked as a recipe developer for cookbook author Barbara Kafka and former New York Times food columnist Mally O'Neil. Today, Sarah is the Executive Editorial Director for Food at Martha Stewart Living and oversees the recipe development for Martha's magazines, books and television shows. 
Sarah has played an integral role in so many of the food-related content we have come to enjoy over the years. She co-authored the bestselling book Martha Stewart's Cooking School and was the editor-in-chief of Everyday Food magazine - a magazine I know so many of us still miss very much. She was a co-host of the Everyday Food television show on PBS and still hosts Everyday Food cooking segments on YouTube. She works closely with Martha on all of the company's cookbooks and on episodes of Martha Bakes and Cooking School, Martha's two television programs on PBS. 
I have always liked Sarah's verve and her obvious love for cooking. One of the reasons I so love to read Martha Stewart Living is because of the food. Since I am not a natural-born cook and do not seem to have the "cooking gene" that both my parents have, I find inspiration in the creation of beautiful food, whether I feel brave enough to make it myself or not. I need the recipe to be simple and the finished product looking beautiful and delicious on the page in order for me to want to make it. With Sarah as my guide, I always feel ready to go. Thank you, Sarah, for all the superb work you have done with Martha over the years! 
Figurative show of hands: how many of us miss this gorgeous, useful, perfect little magazine? Everyone? Thought so.

Please visit the following video links:

Click here to watch Sarah make my favourite pasta: Pasta Carbonara
Click here to watch sarah make one of my favourite holiday cookies: Citrus Thumbprint Cookies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay I get it now. Martha is a brand a label and all these other people are paid to do stuff so Martha can have a magazine and sell advertising and buy houses. So now I know why she is not on the cover anymore she is too busy being the brand at corporate events. Gee whiz her sister wrote the blog -- may she rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

"Everyday Food" was a subscribution gift that was always welcome by any cook and is also has been missed by them when gone
APM

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify: Sarah Carey had nothing to do with the Everyday Food magazine's inception or production during most of it's run. Yes she appeared on the original tv show and now the youtube channel of the same name. But she had nothing to do with the concept or the recipe development of the magazine prior to 2011. She was appointed EIC during the waning years when the magazine was downgraded from monthly to a special issue. I know because I worked on the magazine with the original team.

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

Thank you for the clarification!