2.02.2011

Martha Talks Eldercare with Diane Sawyer

Martha Stewart recently took part in a round-table discussion about aging and caregiving for the elderly on ABC World News with Diane Sawyer. In the coming decade, more than 70-million Americans will enter into retirement, creating what has been coined a "grey tsunami" - a tidal-wave of aging people that is expected to strain both the healthcare system and, in turn, the families who are caring for these aging relatives. Martha was joined by Virginia Morris, author of How to Care for Aging Parents, and noted geriatricians Neil Resnick and Marie Bernard. Martha, of course, is founder of the Martha Stewart Center for Living at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, a center devoted to geriatric wellness that was founded in honour of her mother, Martha Kostyra, who passed away several years ago at the age of 93. You can watch the discussion by clicking here. It is divided into four parts.

2 comments:

Nadine C said...

This is such an important topic. You often don't think about it until you are faced with it. I am 46 and took care of both my in-laws until they passed away. And I took care of my mother with Alzheimers for a year in our home until I had to settle her in a nursing home. And I have my 83 year old father. And just because a parent is in a nursing home, doesn't mean that there still isn't lots of care and a lot of emotions to deal with. It can feel very stressful and isolating to care for the elderly. Martha is about the only one I know talking about this issue.

Snippets/Sarah said...

Your blog looks so interesting. I, too, love all things by Martha Stewart but am not nearly as knowledgeable as you. My favorite idea from Martha S. Magazine are my bunnies made out of napkins. I made mine small and use them as place card holders! Can't wait to read more...